"The K"

Monday, June 13, 2011

Reason For Hope

As a life long Kansas City Royals fan I have heard all the excuses of why the Royals cannot be successful in Kansas City. It typically begins somewhere around "this is the Chiefs town" or "Kansas City only supports winners" and ends with "Kansas City will always be a farm system for big market teams".

I typically had very little response to these comments except that I had faith in the Zach Grienke's or Raul Ibanez's of the world knowing very well there was little organization plan for the future, until Dayton Moore took over as General Manager (GMDM) in June of 2006.

I can remembering driving along I-35 on June 6th listening to sports radio 810 and the newly hired GMDM speaking of his "plan" and speaking of words such as "the Braves way" and mentioning names such as John Smoltz, Tom Glavin, Greg Maddox, Andruw Jones, Chipper Jones, etc. This was not only the first day of the new Royals regime, but also the first day my response changed to all of the people who didnt believe. All I simply said was "Just Wait.."

5 comments:

  1. 1980 is still a painful reminder of the day your squad beat my Phil's, but that is past just like pine tar right??!! That stadium looks amazing on tv, what's it like inside? Good luck beating the Phillies in 2013, 14, 15, etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, bold prediction on the 3-peat championships! I'd be all for it. I'm also really excited about the All-Star game being hosted in our city. We've got such a beautiful stadium. I think the rest of the mlb fanbase will really enjoy KC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob -

    I wish I was around to experience the 1980 & 1985 World Series. I tell all of my closest friends now that I do not know what I would do if/when the Royals repeat the 1985 World Series in the next decade.

    What they have done to the stadium is great. Being able to see the fountains up close as well as having the ability to walk around the entire stadium is nice. I really wish they would have put the stadium downtown as we continue to revive that area of our city.

    Beating the Phillies and that rotation could be an issue! How Ryan Howard got out of the state of Missouri (college) and Albert Pujols got out of KC (high school) is all the more reason to prove how corrupt our scouting was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isaac -
    I can't wait for the all-star game next year either. I hope we have a competitive team at the all star break next season that will allow for even more coverage of what the Royals are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do believe the Royals will come around some day. They are a young team waiting to burst out with flames. You are probably right that Kansas City has been a football town since the Chiefs have had more success in the past. However I will always root for the Kansas City teams when they are not playing the St. Louis teams.

    ReplyDelete