"The K"

Friday, June 17, 2011

I-70 Series

This weekend is the 2nd yearly edition of the I-70 series between the Kansas City Royals and St. Louis Cardinals. The Cards visited Kansas City earlier this season and got the best of the Royals. This series is always highly anticipated as it is a rematch of the highly controversial 1985 World Series.
Because this series is being played in St. Louis the Royals will use National League rules (eliminating the DH/Billy Butler). This will be an interesting series as Ned Yost (manager) would typically sacrifice Butler's poor fielding at 1st base to keep his bat in the line up. With Hosmer (1st base) up from the minors, and playing well, there is no place for Billy Butler (highest paid player) to play. Butler does not have a good "team first" reputation amongst his teammates or the Kansas City media and it will be interesting to see how he handles being a pinch hitter.
This series will also be a good test for the young players as it will provide the most playoff like atmosphere they will experience this season.
Here's to hoping the Royals win 2 of 3!

2 comments:

  1. I love the I-70 series...That's one thing I miss about Missouri, FSN Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the I-70 series as well. The only difference is that I am a huge Cardinals fan. Although the Cardinals are in a big slump as of right now, I believe that we are to overcome all the losses that we had last week. I have never been to a Royals game before but I have driven by the stadium multiple times. It looks pretty cool in the night time. Enjoy the series.

    ReplyDelete