"The K"

Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Plan Is Put Into Action

After the initial trade for Joey Gathright everyone was expecting a major turnover on the Major League roster at the July 31st trade deadline. What people did not understand was this was not a major league project, the Royals were too far gone for that. GMDM refused to make a trade "just to make a trade", and was always looking out for the better interest in the Royals farm system, and in particular pitching staff when making trades.

The Royals also put a great emphasis into drafting young (left handed) pitching prospects and potential power hitters. The past few drafts they have spent more money on their draft prospects than any other team in baseball, and just recently drafted Bubba Starling, a Scott Boras (super agent) prospect with the 5th pick in the MLB Draft.

Baseball America rated the Royals farm system this past winter as the highest rated farm system they have ever seen. In a Sports Illustrated article that ran prior to the season, one scout said you would have to combine the top 10 farm systems to get the type of talent they Royals have in their farm system.

This was not by accident. The Royals knew they only way they would be able to compete with the New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox would be to disregard their major league club and use that payroll on their minor league system to develop their own talent.

The Royals now have the luxury of watching these young prospects make their way to the majors without the stress of every prospects having to "make it", there can be some misses along the way.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about their farm system - pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it's sooner than later for the arms to develop and get to the majors. I like the team we are putting on the field right now and if these young bats are going to be what they are supposed to be then it all comes down to getting some more help on the mound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really optimistic about those guys in the farm system. Being able to see Hosmer and Moose come up (for a bit) has been really good. We've got a great young bullpen and some great potential for additions to our starting rotation down in AAA and AA. Thanks for you info! Pumped for our future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Luebbers -

    Their farm system is my only hope! Although I really enjoy getting out to the K as much as I can (especially with Hosmer, Duffy, and Moustakus up), following the farm system is my real entertainment this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isaac -
    I am excited about our bullpen as well. I really hope our starters pan out becasue we are running out #5 starters every day of the week right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott -
    I agree about young arms having to pan out. With all the young guys coming up with (supposed) power I feel like our payroll will be low enough for us to spend on a top end of the rotation guy. This will not only help on the field but also the daily development of our young pitchers.

    ReplyDelete